For adults living with type 1 diabetes
OzDAFNE takes away a lot of the guesswork involved in managing your diabetes. It gives you more freedom in your lifestyle at the same time as improving your health and your quality of life.
OzDAFNE is a five-day diabetes education program for adults with type 1 diabetes that teaches you how to work out the amount of carbohydrate in your food and the right dose of insulin to take. It also teaches you how to make changes to your insulin doses when you need to, and how to manage hypoglycaemia, illness and exercise.
The OzDAFNE program covers:
- carbohydrate counting
- insulin dose adjustment
- other topics like managing hypoglycaemia, exercise, illness, diabetes complications and goal setting.
DAFNE stands for Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating. The program is called OzDAFNE in Australia.
An OzDAFNE program may suit you if:
- you have type 1 diabetes
- you are 18 years or older
- you are using pens to inject your insulin, and you take 1 or 2 injections of long-acting insulin each day and quick-acting insulin each time you eat
- you are using an insulin pump and you understand how to change your settings and download data
- you are willing to check your blood glucose levels at least 4 or 5 times a day
- you are prepared to adjust your own insulin doses based on what you eat, your blood glucose levels, and other factors (like exercise)
- you can attend all 5 days of the program, from 9am to 5pm each day
- you can speak, read, and understand English.